Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal



Alright, I know I created Cooking Cadenza to post all of my delicious dinner recipes that I have been cooking for my family, but I couldn't help but share this gem of a treat I put together earlier this morning for breakfast (not only the most important meal of the day, but also my favorite). And let me tell you, this treat was basically a delicious dessert (for breakfast) in a bowl.

My trainer has been trying for the past few months to get me to alter my eating habits, and this creation was one of those (albeit small) attempts to try and follow her advice. You see, I am a carbohydrate type of girl. Love the stuff. Let me put it this way, without trying, my diet breaks down to be about 65% carbs, 15% fat, and 20% protein. But according to my trainer, this type of diet doesn't consist of the correct types of foods that I should be eating to build muscle, hold off hunger, or improve overall health. Rather, my wonderful personal trainer wants me to eat 20% carbs, 30% fat, and 50% protein. As you can see, I'm struggling.

Each day, I get closer to that 50% goal, but it's still fairly difficult. Even if I don't in fact make it to that much protein per day, I am at least making an attempt to get a little closer (right now I'm sitting on about 25-30%/day, already an improvement from where I started). But sadly, that doesn't always include having plain oatmeal on my breakfast list. You see, when oatmeal is broken down by its values, it comes out to be 70% carbs, 17% fat, and 13% protein. Not cool. I love oatmeal. It's just so filling (in the moment at least) and warm and wonderful! But I noticed that when paired with a small container of light Greek yogurt, the breakdown suddenly becomes 62% carbs, 12% fat, and 26% protein. Add some low-fat string cheese and that breakdown becomes 53% carbs, 17% fat, and 30% protein. While my trainer would still probably prefer that I choose to have a cheese omelet for breakfast instead, the alterations/additions I made to this dish do make me feel slightly less guilty for indulging in one of my favorite breakfast meals (and this dish tastes so good it's basically like me getting to splurge on a healthier-type dessert).

So here you go, my newest "accidental creation" in the kitchen... Enjoy!

BLUEBERRIES & CREAM OATMEAL

Servings: 1

Nutritional Information:
WW Points Plus: 6+

Ingredients:
  • Instant Oatmeal
  • Fresh/frozen blueberries
  • Dannon Light and Fit Greek vanilla yogurt
Directions:
  1. Cook oatmeal according to package directions.
  2. If using frozen blueberries, add blueberries prior to heating.
  3. Mix in one container of vanilla Greek yogurt.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment