Monday, March 25, 2013

Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Muffins


Alright, so this was actually supposed to turn out more like a casserole, until I realized that I forgot to buy broccoli to go in my Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Muffins. When I realized that I had forgotten to include not only the main ingredient but the garnish to go with this dish, I decided to just go with what I had and try another variation of my Cheesy Quinoa Muffins. This was the result. They may not have looked as stunning as I thought they would, but they were actually pretty good. Kind of like a broccoli cheddar soup with some crunchy croutons and a bit more protein (we all know that quinoa is one of the best grains for protein). So all in all, I'd call these a success. Probably should've called them "Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa CUPS instead of "muffins," as they weren't exactly something you would hold and eat but let's not get all tied up in lingo here. These things were a tasty side, and that's all that really matters.

BROCCOLI CHEDDAR QUINOA MUFFINS/CUPS

Servings: 1-6

Nutritional Information:
WW Points Plus: 2+ for one muffin, 5+ for 2


Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa (2/3 cup water)
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1 packet Stevia (1/2 tsp real sugar)
  • 1/2 c mozzarella
  • 1 TBSP skim milk
  • 1 TBSP mayonnaise
  • 1/2 can of 98% Fat Free Broccoli Cheddar soup
  • Additional: If you have a better memory than me and remember to buy this at the store, feel free to add a cup of real broccoli (or zucchini)!
  • Also: I decided to experiment and top each tin with some Panko. I'm not sure how much I used and didn't exactly include this in the nutrition facts, but seeing as it was about a TBSP per cup, I don't think it would affect the outcome TOO much...
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Cook quinoa according to package directions (until thin, translucent texture).
  3. Then add into the pan spices, sugar, milk, and mayonnaise and stir until coated.
  4. Combine with 1/2 can of Broccoli Cheddar soup and stir until well blended.
  5. Transfer mixture into small muffin tins and top with mozzarella (or whatever type you want) cheese and then some Panko.
  6. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese begins to melt/the mixture begins to form more of a muffin-like texture (you could even add Panko to the mix to help facilitate this).
  7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment