Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blueberry Banana Pancakes


REVISED POST/RECIPE NOTES to make original post DELICIOUS!:

I tried this recipe a few months ago, and it was pretty bad. I vowed that I would try this recipe again, and when I made them again this morning, they were actually good. I didn't make too many revisions, but the small ones I did make made a BIG difference...

  • Use 2 eggs, not 1. It makes the WW Points Value 4+, but they taste much better.
  • Do NOT add protein powder.
  • DO add a few sprinkles of Pumpkin Pie spice (or cinnamon) to taste.
  • Spray pan with Pam nonstick spray and cook on LOW heat.
ORIGINAL POST
I have made this recipe once before, as it is actually the symbol for the Cooking Cadenza Chef. I did not add any protein powder that time, but I was lacking vanilla/almond extracts, so I tried to plump up the flavor of the mixture by adding cinnamon. Since I used WAY TOO MUCH cinnamon the last time I made these, I thought I would give them another go on this snowy, Sunday morning. I added not only the extracts to the original egg/pancake batter mixture, but also went ahead and threw in a scoop of vanilla protein powder to try and off-set the carbs. I'm not sure if the protein powder was what killed this recipe or not, but I've gotta say, these things did not taste nearly as good as I thought they would. I think I was anticipating something as phenomenally delicious as my Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal recipe.

I believe in creating not only healthy recipes, but DELICIOUS ones that are good for you. This one may have received high marks in its score for health value, but I'm going to be honest, I feel as though these ingredients are better kept separate. One scrambled egg, one banana, Greek yogurt/fresh fruit, and a protein shake on the side. Much better.

Perhaps it was the protein powder that did me in... I'm not quite sure. I would at least like to give this recipe another go in the future... again just egg/banana with some blueberries (you know, keeping things simple). We'll see. That being said, as much as I love bananas, I generally try and avoid them anyways for all their sugar. Sure, they are great for potassium and as my mother says, "no one ever got fat eating a banana," but for 70% of my daily sugar value (albeit natural) and for really being pretty carb-heavy (97% carb), I generally gravitate away from them and toward different potassium-infused, lower-sugar fruits/veggies instead. Honestly, I think they should only be enjoyed more as a treat before/after a long run for added energy and to prevent muscle cramps. Otherwise, they just aren't all that worth it for me.

So my verdict on these deliciously deceivingly good for you pancakes? Just break out the real box of Hungry Jack and have a side of scrambled egg, Greek yogurt, and fruit. You're taste buds will thank you later, I promise.

* Author's Note: I will try this recipe at least one time again in the future when I can play around with some of the ingredients... there has to be a way to get these things to taste good (after all, they do have basically an entire daily value of sugar in them)!

SEE REVISIONS ABOVE to make this recipe DELICIOUS... it is possible!

BLUEBERRY BANANA PANCAKES

Servings: Yields about 6 pancakes

Nutritional Information:
WW Points Plus: 2+ (using one egg), 4+ (using two eggs)
Note: Nutritional values below are for just the blueberry banana pancake mixture and do not include any blueberry yogurt topping or protein powder added to the batter. Nutritional values assume 2 eggs used in the mixture.

Ingredients:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1/2 c blueberries (approximately)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • Dash of pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon
  • Optional: Vanilla protein powder, oatmeal, etc
  • Toppings: yogurt, honey, fruit, whipped cream, syrup, etc
Directions:

  1. Break two eggs into a bowl and gently whisk until they are lightly scrambled.
  2. Next using a fork, mash a banana into the egg mixture until both ingredients have been thoroughly combined.
  3. Add extracts and spices until all of the mixture has been coated as well as any additional ingredients.
  4. Grease a pan with either a little bit of butter or non-stick spray before spooning some of the batter onto the griddle.
  5. Allow sides to slightly brown before turning pancake over to cook both sides.
  6. If you choose to add blueberries, place them on the pancake before flipping it inside the pan.
  7. Remove pancakes and top with flavored yogurt, jelly, honey, whipped cream, fruit, or syrup (be creative!) and... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment